Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Am J Clin Oncol. 2003 Apr;26(2):174-7.

Gemcitabine and Cisplatin is a highly effective combination chemotherapy in patients with advanced cancer of the gallbladder.

Author information

  • 1National Cancer Institute, Karachi, Pakistan. imalik@ahs.llumc.edu

Abstract

We evaluated the efficacy and toxicity of gemcitabine with or without cisplatin in 11 chemonaive patients with histologically confirmed advanced gallbladder cancer. All were symptomatic and had stage IV disease. Eight patients received gemcitabine 1 g/m2 on days 1 and 8 along with cisplatin 70 mg/m2 on day 1. Three received gemcitabine alone. Treatment cycles were repeated every 21 days. One patient (9%) had complete remission of disease and 6 (55%) achieved a partial response to chemotherapy with an overall response rate of 64%. Median time to progression was 28 weeks and median overall survival was 42 weeks. Toxicity was easily manageable, and no treatment-related deaths occurred. We conclude that gemcitabine in combination with cisplatin may be one of the most effective therapies for patients with advanced gallbladder cancer. If confirmed by others, it may provide an important therapeutic option in managing these patients who otherwise have a dismal prognosis.

PMID:
12714891
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk