Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Gynecol Oncol. 2003 Jan;88(1):35-9.

Phase II trial of gemcitabine plus cisplatin repeating doublet therapy in previously treated, relapsed ovarian cancer patients.

Author information

  • 1Rational Therapeutics, Inc., Long Beach, California 90806, USA. Robert.Nagourney@RationalTherapeutics.com

Abstract

OBJECTIVES:

The aim was to determine the safety and efficacy of gemcitabine plus cisplatin for patients with relapsed ovarian carcinoma and to compare ex vivo drug sensitivity profiles with clinical outcomes.

PATIENTS AND METHODS:

Previously treated patients with ovarian carcinoma received cisplatin (30 mg/m(2)) plus gemcitabine (600-750 mg/m(2)) on Days 1 and 8 of each 21-day cycle. Seventeen of the 27 patients underwent ex vivo analyses for correlation with clinical response.

RESULTS:

Of 27 patients, there were 7 (26%) complete and 12 (44%) partial responses, for an overall response rate of 70% (95% CI: 53-87%). Toxicities included neutropenia Grade III in 51.9%, Grade IV in 29.6%; anemia Grade III in 18.5 %; thrombocytopenia Grade III in 66.7 %, Grade IV in 29.6%; nausea and vomiting Grade III in 14.8 %; peripheral neuropathy Grade III in 3.7%; and alopecia Grade IV in 11.1% of patients. The median time to progression for objective responders was 7.9 months with a range of 2.1 to 13.2 months. There were no treatment-related deaths. Ex vivo results correlated with response, time to progression, and survival, remaining significant when adjusted for platin-resistance and number of prior therapies. Adjustment for platin-free interval decreased the significance but did not, in and of itself, predict significantly for progression-free survival.

CONCLUSIONS:

Cisplatin plus gemcitabine is active for patients with relapsed ovarian cancer. Toxicities, primarily hematologic, are manageable with dose modifications. Responses observed in heavily pretreated and platin-resistant patients indicate activity in drug-refractory patients. The results of the ex vivo analyses correlate with clinical outcomes.

PMID:
12504624
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk