Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Proc AMIA Symp. 2002:315-9.

Fuzzy logic controller for weaning neonates from mechanical ventilation.

Author information

  • 1McGill University Health Centre, Montreal General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Abstract

Weaning from mechanical ventilation is the gradual detachment from any ventilatory support till normal spontaneous breathing can be fully resumed. To date, we have developed a fuzzy logic controller for weaning COPD adults using pressure support ventilation (PS). However, adults and newborns differ in the pathophysiology of lung disease. We therefore used our fuzzy logic-based weaning platform to develop modularized components for weaning newborns with lung disease. Our controller uses the heart rate (HR), respiratory rate (RR), tidal volume (VT) and oxygen saturation (SaO2) and their trends deltaHR/deltat, deltaVT/deltat and deltaSaO2/deltat to evaluate, respectively, the Current and Trend weaning status of the newborn. Through appropriate fuzzification of these vital signs, Current and Trend weaning status can quantitatively determine the increase/decrease in the synchronized intermittent mandatory ventilation (SIMV) setting. The post-operative weaning courses of 10 newborns, 82+/-162 days old, were assessed at 2-hour intervals for 68+/-39 days. The SIMV levels, proposed by our algorithm, were matched to those levels actually applied. For 60% of the time both values coincided. For the remaining 40%, our algorithm suggested lower SIMV support than what was applied. The Area Under the Curve for integrated ventilatory support over time was 1203+/-846 for standard ventilatory strategies and 1152+/-802 for fuzzy controller. This suggests that the algorithm, approximates the actual weaning progression, and may advocate a more aggressive strategy. Moreover, the core of the fuzzy controller facilitates adaptation for body size and diversified disease patterns and sets the premises as an infant-weaning tool.

PMID:
12463838
PMCID:
PMC2244473
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for PubMed Central
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk