Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Neurology. 2002 Apr 9;58(7):1019-24.

Parkinson's disease and sleepiness: an integral part of PD.

Author information

  • 1Fédération des Pathologies du Sommeil, Hôpital Pitié-Salpêtrière, Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris, France. isabelle.arnulf@psl.ap-hop-paris.fr

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To investigate the potential causes of excessive daytime sleepiness in patients with PD-poor sleep quality, abnormal sleep-wakefulness control, and treatment with dopaminergic agents.

METHODS:

The authors performed night-time polysomnography and daytime multiple sleep latency tests in 54 consecutive levodopa-treated patients with PD referred for sleepiness, 27 of whom were also receiving dopaminergic agonists.

RESULTS:

Sleep latency was 6.3 +/- 0.6 minutes (normal >8 minutes), and the Epworth Sleepiness score was 14.3 +/- 4.1 (normal <10). A narcolepsy-like phenotype (> or = 2 sleep-onset REM periods) was found in 39% of the patients, who were sleepier (4.6 +/- 0.9 minutes) than the other 61% of patients (7.4 +/- 0.7 minutes). Periodic leg movement syndromes were rare (15%, range 16 to 43/h), but obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndromes were frequent (20% of patients had an apnea-hypopnea index >15/h; range 15.1 to 50.0). Severity of sleepiness was weakly correlated with Epworth Sleepiness score (r = -0.34) and daily dose of levodopa (r = 0.30) but not with dopamine-agonist treatment, age, disease duration, parkinsonian motor disability, total sleep time, periodic leg movement, apnea-hypopnea, or arousal indices.

CONCLUSIONS:

In patients with PD preselected for sleepiness, severity of sleepiness was not dependent on nocturnal sleep abnormalities, motor and cognitive impairment, or antiparkinsonian treatment. The results suggest that sleepiness-sudden onset of sleep-does not result from pharmacotherapy but is related to the pathology of PD.

PMID:
11940685
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Icon for HighWire
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk