Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Chest. 2000 Oct;118(4):940-7.

Prognosis and recurrent patterns in bronchioloalveolar carcinoma.

Author information

  • 1Chest Department, Veterans General Hospital-Taipei, and National Yang-Ming University, School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC.

Abstract

STUDY OBJECTIVE:

Bronchioloalveolar carcinoma (BAC) is an uncommon pulmonary neoplasm with various radiologic and clinical presentations. In this article, we analyze the initial radiologic findings, TNM stagings, surgical types, and radiologic features of recurrence, and correlate them with patient survival.

DESIGN:

A retrospective review of 93 patients who underwent resection for BAC from February 1989 to May 1999.

PATIENTS:

There were a total of 153 patients with BAC diagnosed during this period. Among them, 60 patients (39.2%) had diffuse disease and received medical therapy only, and the remaining 93 patients (60.8%), who had localized disease, underwent surgical resection. Patients who received surgical resection were enrolled in this study.

MEASUREMENTS:

Data regarding demographics, presentation symptoms, initial radiologic features, surgical type, tumor staging, recurrence status, radiologic patterns of recurrence, and survival were obtained from all patients.

RESULTS:

Female patients were significantly younger than male patients. Patients who were female, nonsmoking, undergoing curative surgery, lobectomy, or bilobectomy, and with early tumor staging and no nodal involvement had a better prognosis. Patients with a right lung tumor had a longer survival than those with a left lung tumor, with borderline significance. Among those who suffered from recurrent diseases, a second resection yielded a better survival. Multivariate analysis showed curative surgery, initial surgical type, recurrence status, radiologic patterns of recurrence, and duration from surgical resection to recurrence all had a significant impact on survival.

CONCLUSIONS:

Those patients with localized, early-stage BAC who underwent curative surgery had a better survival. Patients with localized recurrence after the initial surgery warranted a second resection. Those with a diffuse radiologic pattern of recurrence and/or early recurrence had a worse prognosis.

PMID:
11035660
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Silverchair Information Systems
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk