Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Med J Malaysia. 1998 Mar;53(1):6-9.

Imported malaria: a retrospective study in University Hospital, Kuala Lumpur, a ten-year experience.

Author information

  • 1Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur.

Abstract

Over a period of ten years (1983-1992), 134 malaria cases admitted to University Hospital, Kuala Lumpur (UHKL) were analysed. Malays constituted 27.6%, Chinese 29.8%, Indians 9.7%, Indonesians 16.4% and other foreigners 16.4%. Therefore, of the total number of cases, foreigners constituted 32.8% (44) of all the malaria cases admitted to UHKL. Fifteen of these foreigners had chloroquine-resistant strains of malarial parasites. Three species of malaria were reported of which Plasmodium falciparum constituted the most (46.3%) (80% of these developed resistance to chloroquine). Plasmodium vivax was confirmed in 44.8% (10% of these developed resistance to chloroquine) and there was only one case of Plasmodium malarie infection.

PMID:
10968130
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Icon for Malaysian Medical Association
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk