Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000 May;(374):136-44.

A brief history of the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery.

Abstract

The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery had its origins in the Transactions of the American Orthopedic Association, which first were published in 1889. In 1903, the Transactions of the American Orthopedic Association, Volume 16, became the first volume of the American Journal of Orthopedic Surgery, still under the sponsorship of the American Orthopedic Association. In 1919, the word American was dropped from the title and the Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery became the official publication of the newly formed British Orthopaedic Association and the American Orthopedic Association. The name was changed to The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery in 1921. Shortly after the founding of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons in 1933, The Journal became the official organ of the academy; however, ownership of The Journal remained with the American Orthopaedic Association. The British volume appeared in 1948. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery became an independent, not-for-profit corporation in 1954. The Journal, which continues to be a leader in the area of orthopaedic publication, began publishing the full text on compact disk in January 1992, the full text in electronic form through BRS/Saunders in 1995, and the full text on The Journal's website in December 1999.

PMID:
10818974
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk