• We are sorry, but NCBI web applications do not support your browser and may not function properly. More information
Logo of brjgenpracRCGP homepageJ R Coll Gen Pract at PubMed CentralBJGP at RCGPBJGP at RCGP
Br J Gen Pract. Feb 2003; 53(487): 101–107.
PMCID: PMC1314508

Predictors of long-term outcome of a smoking cessation programme in primary care.

Abstract

BACKGROUND: It would be helpful for general practitioners to know which smokers are the most or the least likely to achieve long-term cessation, so that efforts in promoting lifestyle changes can be prioritised. AIM: To identify predictors of abstinence and assess effectiveness over a two-year follow-up of a smoking cessation programme in routine general practice. DESIGN OF STUDY: Quasi-experimental non-randomised controlled trial. SETTING: Primary healthcare centres of the Basque Health Service, Spain. METHOD: All smokers attending seven intervention (n = 1203) and three control (n = 565) practices during one year (from September 1995 to October 1996) were included. The associations between attempts to stop smoking, relapses, and sustained biochemically confirmed abstinence between 12 and 24 months' follow-up, with baseline characteristics and patients' preference with regard to three possible therapeutic options, were assessed by means of logistic regression and survival analyses. RESULTS: Sustained abstinence was biochemically confirmed in 7.3% of smokers in the intervention practices (relative probability = 2.8, 95% confidence interval [CI] = 1.6 to 4.7; probability difference = 4.7%, 95% CI = 2.7% to 6.7%); in 5% of smokers who received advice and a handout (adjusted odds ratio [AOR] = 1.9, 95% CI = 1.0 to 3.4), in 16% who received advice, a handout and follow-up (AOR = 6.6, 95% CI = 2.9 to 14.6), and in 22% who received advice, a handout, follow-up and nicotine patches (AOR = 13.1, 95% CI = 6.6 to 25.9). Positive predictors included previous attempts to stop smoking (AOR = 1.8, 95% CI = 1.1 to 2.7), and age (for each 10 years AOR = 1.32, 95% CI = 1.13 to 1.44). The Fagerström nicotine dependence score was negatively associated (for each point AOR = 0.89, 95% CI = 0.82 to 0.97). CONCLUSION: The intensity of the programme can be tailored to the probability of long-term cessation estimated by the statistical model including these predictors.

Full Text

The Full Text of this article is available as a PDF (92K).

Selected References

These references are in PubMed. This may not be the complete list of references from this article.
  • Ashenden R, Silagy C, Weller D. A systematic review of the effectiveness of promoting lifestyle change in general practice. Fam Pract. 1997 Apr;14(2):160–176. [PubMed]
  • Russell MA, Wilson C, Taylor C, Baker CD. Effect of general practitioners' advice against smoking. Br Med J. 1979 Jul 28;2(6184):231–235. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
  • Russell MA, Merriman R, Stapleton J, Taylor W. Effect of nicotine chewing gum as an adjunct to general practitioner's advice against smoking. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1983 Dec 10;287(6407):1782–1785. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
  • Grandes G, Cortada JM, Arrazola A. An evidence-based programme for smoking cessation: effectiveness in routine general practice. Br J Gen Pract. 2000 Oct;50(459):803–807. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
  • Jackson PH, Stapleton JA, Russell MA, Merriman RJ. Predictors of outcome in a general practitioner intervention against smoking. Prev Med. 1986 May;15(3):244–253. [PubMed]
  • Richmond RL, Kehoe LA, Webster IW. Multivariate models for predicting abstention following intervention to stop smoking by general practitioners. Addiction. 1993 Aug;88(8):1127–1135. [PubMed]
  • Rohren CL, Croghan IT, Hurt RD, Offord KP, Marusić Z, McClain FL. Predicting smoking cessation outcome in a medical center from stage of readiness: contemplation versus action. Prev Med. 1994 May;23(3):335–344. [PubMed]
  • Monsó E, Campbell J, Tønnesen P, Gustavsson G, Morera J. Sociodemographic predictors of success in smoking intervention. Tob Control. 2001 Jun;10(2):165–169. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
  • Dale LC, Glover ED, Sachs DP, Schroeder DR, Offord KP, Croghan IT, Hurt RD. Bupropion for smoking cessation : predictors of successful outcome. Chest. 2001 May;119(5):1357–1364. [PubMed]
  • Senore C, Battista RN, Shapiro SH, Segnan N, Ponti A, Rosso S, Aimar D. Predictors of smoking cessation following physicians' counseling. Prev Med. 1998 May-Jun;27(3):412–421. [PubMed]
  • Kenford SL, Fiore MC, Jorenby DE, Smith SS, Wetter D, Baker TB. Predicting smoking cessation. Who will quit with and without the nicotine patch. JAMA. 1994 Feb 23;271(8):589–594. [PubMed]
  • Kviz FJ, Clark MA, Crittenden KS, Warnecke RB, Freels S. Age and smoking cessation behaviors. Prev Med. 1995 May;24(3):297–307. [PubMed]
  • Gritz ER, Thompson B, Emmons K, Ockene JK, McLerran DF, Nielsen IR. Gender differences among smokers and quitters in the Working Well Trial. Prev Med. 1998 Jul-Aug;27(4):553–561. [PubMed]
  • Fiore MC, Novotny TE, Pierce JP, Hatziandreu EJ, Patel KM, Davis RM. Trends in cigarette smoking in the United States. The changing influence of gender and race. JAMA. 1989 Jan 6;261(1):49–55. [PubMed]
  • Bjornson W, Rand C, Connett JE, Lindgren P, Nides M, Pope F, Buist AS, Hoppe-Ryan C, O'Hara P. Gender differences in smoking cessation after 3 years in the Lung Health Study. Am J Public Health. 1995 Feb;85(2):223–230. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
  • Swan GE, Jack LM, Ward MM. Subgroups of smokers with different success rates after use of transdermal nicotine. Addiction. 1997 Feb;92(2):207–217. [PubMed]
  • Stapleton JA, Sutherland G, Russell MA. How much does relapse after one year erode effectiveness of smoking cessation treatments? Long-term follow up of randomised trial of nicotine nasal spray. BMJ. 1998 Mar 14;316(7134):830–831. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
  • Prochaska JO, Goldstein MG. Process of smoking cessation. Implications for clinicians. Clin Chest Med. 1991 Dec;12(4):727–735. [PubMed]
  • Heatherton TF, Kozlowski LT, Frecker RC, Fagerström KO. The Fagerström Test for Nicotine Dependence: a revision of the Fagerström Tolerance Questionnaire. Br J Addict. 1991 Sep;86(9):1119–1127. [PubMed]
  • Velicer WF, Fava JL, Prochaska JO, Abrams DB, Emmons KM, Pierce JP. Distribution of smokers by stage in three representative samples. Prev Med. 1995 Jul;24(4):401–411. [PubMed]
  • Etter JF, Perneger TV, Ronchi A. Distributions of smokers by stage: international comparison and association with smoking prevalence. Prev Med. 1997 Jul-Aug;26(4):580–585. [PubMed]
  • Mallin Robert. Smoking cessation: integration of behavioral and drug therapies. Am Fam Physician. 2002 Mar 15;65(6):1107–1114. [PubMed]
  • Blondal T, Gudmundsson LJ, Olafsdottir I, Gustavsson G, Westin A. Nicotine nasal spray with nicotine patch for smoking cessation: randomised trial with six year follow up. BMJ. 1999 Jan 30;318(7179):285–288. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
  • Norman GJ, Velicer WF, Fava JL, Prochaska JO. Cluster subtypes within stage of change in a representative sample of smokers. Addict Behav. 2000 Mar-Apr;25(2):183–204. [PubMed]

Articles from The British Journal of General Practice are provided here courtesy of Royal College of General Practitioners

Formats:

Related citations in PubMed

See reviews...See all...

Cited by other articles in PMC

See all...

Links

  • Cited in Books
    Cited in Books
    PubMed Central articles cited in books
  • PubMed
    PubMed
    PubMed citations for these articles

Recent Activity

Your browsing activity is empty.

Activity recording is turned off.

Turn recording back on

See more...