The term "drug use" as used in this Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) encompasses the following categories of drugs:
- Cannabis (marijuana, hashish)
- Hallucinogens (e.g., LSD, mescaline)
- Inhalants (e.g., gasoline, glue)
- Opioids (e.g., heroin, pentazocine [Talwin], codeine)
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
- Sedatives, hypnotics, or anxiolytics (e.g., barbiturates, benzodiazepines)
- Stimulants (e.g., amphetamines)
Tobacco, considered to be a drug, is excluded from this discussion because it is only marginally relevant to the topic of this TIP.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (US), Rockville (MD)
Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Screening for Infectious Diseases Among Substance Abusers. Rockville (MD): Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (US); 1993. (Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 6.) Definition of the Term "Drug Use".