- Angel R, Burton L, Chase-Lansdale PL, Cherlin A, Moffitt R. Welfare, children, and families: A three-city study [Computer file] Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor]; 2009. [10/19/10]. Available at http://www
- Bachman HJ, Mohan R. Examining home mediators of early economic disparities and later academic trajectories from 54 months—Grade 5 in the NICHD SECC. Paper presented for presentation at the Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development; Boston. 2007.
- Beals J, Novins DK, Whitesell NR, Spicer P, Mitchell CM, Manson SM. Prevalence of mental disorders and utilization of mental health services in two American Indian reservation populations: Mental health disparities in a national context. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2005;162(9):1723–32. [PubMed: 16135633]
- Becker GS. A treatise on the family. Enl. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press; 1991.
- Bornstein MH, Bruner JS. Interaction in human development, Crosscurrents in contemporary psychology. Hillsdale, NJ: L. Erlbaum Associates; 1989.
- Bradley RH, Caldwell BM. The HOME inventory and family demographics. Developmental Psychology. 1984 March;20(2):315–320.
- Brown SL. Family structure transitions and adolescent well-being. Demography. 2006;43(3):447–461. [PubMed: 17051822]
- Brown SL. Measuring family structure and stability: Emerging trends and measurement challenges. Presented at the Science of Research on Families Workshop; July 13-14, 2010; Washington, DC. 2010.
- Bumpass L, Lu H. Trends in cohabitation and implications for children's family contexts in the United States. Population Studies. 2000;54(1):29–41.
- Bumpass L, Sweet JA, Cherlin AJ. The role of cohabitation in declining rates of marriage. Journal of Marriage and Family. 1991;53(4):913–927.
- Caplan N, Choy MH, Whitmore JK. Indochinese refugee families and academic achievement. Scientific American. 1992;266(2):36–42.
- Cavanagh SE, Huston AC. The timing of family instability and children's social development. Journal of Marriage and Family. 2008;70(5):1258–1270.
- Clark R. Family life and school achievement: Why poor Black children succeed or fail. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press; 1983.
- Conger RD, Elder GH. Families in troubled times: Adapting to change in rural America, social institutions and social change. New York: A. de Gruyter; 1994.
- Conger RD, Wallace LE, Sun Y, Simons RL, McLoyd VC, Brody GH. Economic pressure in African American families: A replication and extension of the family stress model. Developmental Psychology. 2002;38(2):179–193. [PubMed: 11881755]
- Daniels K, Raley RK. Educational attainment, romantic relationships, and non-marital fertility. Paper presented at the Population Association of America Meetings; Dallas. 2010.
- De Kloet ER, Joëls M, Holsboer F. Stress and the brain: From adaptation to disease. Nature Reviews Neuroscience. 2005;6(6):463–475. [PubMed: 15891777]
- Dickerson SS, Kemeny ME. Acute stressors and cortisol responses: A theoretical integration and synthesis of laboratory research. Psychological Bulletin. 2004;130(3):355–391. [PubMed: 15122924]
- Duncan GJ, Huston AC, Weisner TS. Higher ground: New hope for the working poor and their children. New York: Russell Sage Foundation; 2007.
- Dunifon R, Kowaleski-Jones L. Who's in the house? Race differences in cohabitation, single parenthood, and child development. Child Development. 2002;73(4):1249–1264. [PubMed: 12146746]
- Fantuzzo J, Fusco R. Children's direct sensory exposure to substantiated domestic violence crimes. Violence and Victims. 2007;22(2):158–171. [PubMed: 17479553]
- Fiese BH. Family routines and rituals, Current perspectives in psychology. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press; 2006.
- Fiese BH, Wamboldt FS. Tales of pediatric asthma management: Family-based strategies related to medical adherence and health care utilization. Journal of Pediatrics. 2003;143(4):457–462. [PubMed: 14571219]
- Fiese BH, Wamboldt FS, Anbar RD. Family asthma management routines: Connections to medical adherence and quality of life. Journal of Pediatrics. 2005;146(2):171–176. [PubMed: 15689901]
- Fiese BH, Winter MA, Sliwinski M, Anbar RD. Nighttime waking in children with asthma: An exploratory study of daily fluctuations in family climate. Journal of Family Psychology. 2007;21(1):95–103. [PubMed: 17371114]
- Foster EM. How economists think about family resources and child development. Child Development. 2002;73(6):1904–1914. [PubMed: 12487501]
- Ginther DK, Pollak RA. Family structure and children's educational outcomes: Blended families, stylized facts, and descriptive regressions. Demography. 2004;41(4):671–696. [PubMed: 15622949]
- Gottlieb G. Individual development and evolution: The genesis of novel behavior. New York: Oxford University Press; 1992.
- Halligan SL, Herbert J, Goodyer I, Murray L. Disturbances in morning cortisol secretion in association with maternal postnatal depression predict subsequent depressive symptomatology in adolescents. Biological Psychiatry. 2007;62(1):40–46. [PubMed: 17188253]
- Halpern-Meekin S, Tach L. Heterogeneity in two-parent families and adolescent well-being. Journal of Marriage and Family. 2008;70(2):435–451.
- Harris KM. The National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Add Health), Waves I & II, 1994–1996; Wave III, 2001–2002; Wave IV, 2007-2009 [machine-readable data file and documentation] Chapel Hill, NC: Carolina Population Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; 2009.
- Harris KM. Capturing intergenerational aspects of change in family patterns. Presented at the Science of Research on Families Workshop; July 13-14, 2010; Washington, DC. 2010.
- Harris KM, Cheng MM. Family structure role models and the context of nonmarital childbearing. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association; Marriott Hotel, Loews Philadelphia Hotel, Philadelphia, PA. Aug 13-16.2005. unpublished.
- Harris KM, Halpern CT, Whitsel E, Hussey J, Tabor J, Entzel P, Udry JR. The National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health: Research Design. 2009. [January 24, 2011]. http://www
.cpc.unc.edu /projects/addhealth/design .
- Heard HE. Fathers, mothers, and family structure: Family trajectories, parent gender, and adolescent schooling. Journal of Marriage and Family. 2007;69(2):435–450.
- Hernandez DC, Coley RL. Measuring father involvement within low-income families: Who is a reliable and valid reporter? Parenting: Science and Practice. 2007;7(1):69–97.
- Hernandez DJ. Demographic change and the life circumstances of immigrant families. Future of Children. 2004;14(2):17–47.
- Hofferth SL. The hurried child, Life balance: Multidisciplinary theories and research. Matuska Kathleen, Christiansen Charles., editors. SLACK Inc (NJ) and AOTA Press (MD); 2009.
- Kertes DA, Donzella B, Talge NM, Garvin MC, Van Ryzin MJ, Gunnar MR. Inhibited temperament and parent emotional availability differentially predict young children's cortisol responses to novel social and nonsocial events. Developmental Psychobiology. 2009;51(7):521–532. [PubMed: 19676107]
- Kertes DA, Gunnar MR. Evening activities as a potential confound in research on the adrenocortical system in children. Child Development. 2004;75(1):193–204. [PubMed: 15015684]
- Kertes DA, Gunnar MR, Madsen NJ, Long JD. Early deprivation and home basal cortisol levels: A study of internationally adopted children. Development and Psychopathology. 2008;20(2):473–491. [PubMed: 18423090]
- Kertes DA, Kalsi G, Prescott CA, Kuo PH, Patterson DG, Walsh D, Kendler KS, Riley PB. Neurotransmitter and neuromodulator genes associated with a history of depressive symptoms in individuals with alcohol dependence. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 2011;35(3):1–10. [PMC free article: PMC3116055] [PubMed: 21143246]
- Kirschbaum C, Klauer T, Filipp SH, Hellhammer DH. Sex-specific effects of social support on cortisol and subjective responses to acute psychological stress. Psychosomatic Medicine. 1995;57(1):23–31. [PubMed: 7732155]
- Kreider R. Living arrangements of children: 2004, Current Population Reports. Washington, DC: U.S. Census Bureau; 2007.
- Kreider R. Improvements to demographic household data in the Current Population Survey: 2007, Housing and Household Economic Statistics Division Working Paper. 2008. [January 24, 2011]. http://www
.census.gov /population/www/documentation /twps08/twps08.pdf .
- Linares LO, Heeren T, Bronfman E, Zuckerman B, Augustyn M, Tronick E. A mediational model for the impact of exposure to community violence on early child behavior problems. Child Development. 2001;72(2):639–652. [PubMed: 11333090]
- Martin JA, Hamilton BE, Sutton PD, Ventura SJ, Menacker F, Kirmeyer S, Matthews TJ. Births: Final Data for 2006, National vital statistics reports. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2009.
- Martin P, Midgley E. Immigration: Shaping and reshaping America, Population Bulletin. Washington DC: 2006.
- McDonald R, Jouriles EN, Ramisetty-Mikler S, Caetano R, Green CE. Estimating the number of American children living in partner-violent families. Journal of Family Psychology. 2006;20(1):137–142. [PubMed: 16569098]
- McLoyd VC. The impact of economic hardship on black families and children: Psychological distress, parenting, and socioemotional development. Child Development. 1990;61(2):311. [PubMed: 2188806]
- Mistry RS, Lowe ED, Benner AD, Chien N. Expanding the family economic stress model: Insights from a mixed-methods approach. Journal of Marriage and Family. 2008;70(1):196–209.
- Monroe SM. Modern approaches to conceptualizing and measuring human life stress. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology. 2008;4:33–52. [PubMed: 17716038]
- National Institute for Literacy. Developing early literacy: Report of the National Early Literacy Panel. Jessup, MD: 2008.
- Committee on Depression Parenting Practices and the Healthy Development of Children, editor. National Research Council and Institute of Medicine. Depression in parents, parenting, and children: Opportunities to improve identification, treatment, and prevention. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2009. [PubMed: 25009931]
- Committee on Prevention of Mental Disorders and Substance Abuse Among Children, Youth, and Young Adults, editor. National Research Council and Institute of Medicine. Preventing mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders among young people: Progress and possibilities. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2009. [PubMed: 20662125]
- National Survey of Family Growth (NSFG) Cycle 6 (2006-2008) Hyattsville, MD: CDC/National Center for Health Statistics; [12/14/10]. Available at http://www
- Raley RK. Increasing fertility in cohabiting unions: Evidence for the second demographic transition in the United States? Demography. 2001;38(1):59–66. [PubMed: 11227845]
- Raley RK. Cohabitation and other aspects of household structure and instability. Presented at the Science of Research on Families Workshop; July 13-14, 2010; Washington, DC. 2010.
- Raley RK, Wildsmith E. Cohabitation and children's family instability. Journal of Marriage and the Family. 2004;66(1):210–219.
- Schroeder SA. We can do better—Improving the health of the American people. New England Journal of Medicine. 2007;357(12):1221–1228. [PubMed: 17881753]
- Shahinfar A, Fox NA, Leavitt LA. Preschool children's exposure to violence: Relation of behavior problems to parent and child reports. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. 2000;70(1):115–125. [PubMed: 10702856]
- Stevenson B. Beyond the classroom: Using Title IX to measure the return to high school sports. Review of Economics and Statistics. 2010;92(2):284–301.
- Teitler JO, Reichman NE, Koball H. Contemporaneous versus retrospective reports of cohabitation in the Fragile Families survey. Journal of Marriage and Family. 2006;68(2):469–477.
- U.S. Census Bureau. Minority Census Participation. 2010. 2010 [cited December 21, 2010]. Available from http://2010
.census.gov /mediacenter/awareness /minority-census.php.
- U.S. Census Bureau. American Community Survey. 2010. 2010 [cited November 30, 2010]. Available from http://www
.census.gov /acs/www/about_the_survey /forms_and_instructions/
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Administration on Children, Youth and Families, Children's Bureau. Child Maltreatment 2008. 2010. [January 24, 2011]. Available from http://www
.acf.hhs.gov /programs/cb/stats_research/index .htm#can.
- Votruba-Drzal E, Bachman HJ, Davis S, Maldonado C. Socioeconomic disparities in achievement trajectories through fifth grade: The role of learning-related parenting practices (Manuscript in progress) 2009
- Whitehurst GJ, Epstein JN, Angell AL, Payne AC, Crone DA, Fischel JE. Outcomes of an emergent literacy intervention in Head-Start. Journal of Educational Psychology. 1994;86(4):542–555.
- Wong MD, Shapiro MF, Boscardin WJ, Ettner SL. Contribution of major diseases to disparities in mortality. New England Journal of Medicine. 2002;347(20):1585–1592. [PubMed: 12432046]
- Yates TM, Dodds MF, Sroufe LA, Egeland B. Exposure to partner violence and child behavior problems: A prospective study controlling for child physical abuse and neglect, child cognitive ability, socioeconomic status, and life stress. Development and Psychopathology. 2003;15(1):199–218. [PubMed: 12848442]
- Yoshikawa H, Weisner TS, Kalil A, Way N. Mixing qualitative and quantitative research in developmental science: Uses and methodological choices. Developmental Psychology. 2008;44(2):344–354. [PubMed: 18331127]
- Yoshikawa H, Weisner TS, Lowe ED. Making it work: Low-wage employment, family life, and child development. New York: Russell Sage Foundation; 2006.
National Academies Press (US), Washington (DC)
Institute of Medicine (US) and National Research Council (US) Committee on the Science of Research on Families; Olson S, editor. Toward an Integrated Science of Research on Families: Workshop Report. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2011. References.