- Please check the ONE category below that best describes you:___Primary health care professional___Health professional specializing in occupational/environmental health___Emergency medicine or poison control specialist___Health sciences librarian___Environmental health researcher or scientist___Patient or community organization member___Local, state, or federal public health professional___Other (please specify)
- Your age___
- How would you describe your level of experience with the Internet?___None/basic___Intermediate___Advanced
- Please indicate your online searching experience.___No online searching___General World Wide Web search engines (e.g., Yahoo, Alta Vista)___MEDLINE primarily but occasionally other online databases___MEDLINE only___Numerous online databases
- If you use databases to locate toxicological and environmental health information, which ones do you use? Please check all that apply.___I haven't used databases to find toxicological/environmental health information___MEDLINE through Internet Grateful Med___MEDLINE through PubMed___MEDLINE through other sources___TOXLINE___NIOSHTIC___Poisindex/TOMESTOXNET databases:___CCRIS___HSDB___GENE-TOX___IRIS___RTECS___Other (please specify)___________________
- Please check the main ways you use toxicological/environmental health information. Please check all that apply.___Patient care___Teaching/education___Clinical research___Policy decisions___Basic research___Risk analysis___Worker safety___Retrieve information for others (e.g., library searching)___Concerns about my family's health___Concerns about my health___Conditions in my workplace___Community/advocacy___School work___Conditions in my area/neighborhood___Other (please specify)__________________
Please conduct searches of the new interface to answer questions 1 and 2 below. Also conduct a third search using a toxicology/environmental question of your own choosing. As you search, please explain to the IOM staff member what you are doing and note any problems you are experiencing or ideas you have on improving the search interface. Thanks!
- What is the potential for vinyl chloride to cause liver cancer in humans?
- What are the potential health effects of working as a dry cleaner?
- Your choice: Please write down your search question.
1. The problems I experienced were (please be as specific as possible):
National Academies Press (US), Washington (DC)
Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Internet Access to the National Library of Medicine's Toxicology and Environmental Health Databases; Liverman CT, Fulco CE, Kipen HM, editors. Internet Access to the National Library of Medicine's Toxicology and Environmental Health Databases. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 1998. B, Search Questions.