The goal of genetic counseling is to help you learn more about the causes of genetic conditions and how they affect you.
Genetic counselors can:
- Review your family and medical histories.
- Explain how genetic conditions are passed down through families.
- Figure out if you or your family members are at risk for disease.
- Find and give you information about genetic conditions.
- Offer guidance to help you make informed choices or life plans.
- Provide information about testing options and help you decide what is best for you and your family.
- Help you find referrals to medical specialists, advocacy and support networks, and other resources.
All Genetic Alliance content, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Genetic Alliance, Washington (DC)
National Society of Genetic Counselors; Genetic Alliance. Making Sense of Your Genes: A Guide to Genetic Counselling. Washington (DC): Genetic Alliance; 2008. What is genetic counseling?